A Tramp Abroad

I'm spending a year abroad and this is a way for everyone to follow along and see what I'm up to.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Home Boring Home

As usual being at home is about the most boring thing I can do. The "highlight" of my day is probably running to the grocery store for some Country Crock (artificial butter.........) and green peppers (YUCK!!!!!!!!!). What a dull life I lead......

It'll be 8 days until I leave for Germany (assuming, of course, I get a seat on the plane). Until then I'm wasting away and unfortunately not in Margaritaville. I really am not up for packing yet. It means sifting through my belongings and choosing 2 suit cases full of stuff that's most important to me. Oh and LUCKY ME!!!! I'm packing winter clothes....and we all know that takes up little to no space. If I were smart (which I know I won't be) I wouldn't even completely fill the two suitcases. Then I wouldn't have to worry about how I'm going to get all the things I acquire in Bremen back to Chicago. Whatever......my parents'll probably come visit me while I'm there. They can take a suitcase back with them.

I have to grudgingly admit that while I was wasting away on my couch I actually enjoyed some of it. For some reason I decided to go looking through the VHS tapes at home. I usually don't bother.....I mean c'mon if you have 2000+ (yes I mean 2000 not 200) DVDs what's the point in watching VHS anymore? Well my mother hasn't quite converted all of the VHS to DVD yet so the tapes that we don't have on DVD are still upstairs and accessible (unlike the others which are in the basement in plastic bins and alphabetically cataloged). Well I found hidden at the back of one of the cabinets a bunch of cartoons. Well honestly that's not saying much cuz we have cartoons up the wazoo. We have the cartoon series for Ducktales, Little Mermaid, Talespin, Chip and Dale, Darkwing Duck, Mickey Mouse and Friends, Mighty Mouse, Super Ted, Goof Troop and a whole lot more. But my find was the Disney Mini Classics.....half hour or so tapes on some thing or another. Some of them include Ben and Me (which is one of the ones I watched), Bongo, Wind in the Willows, Mickey and the Beanstalk, Peter and the Wolf, and even one about some operatic whale. My favorite, though, was Donald in Mathemagic Land.......I know, I know, pathetic huh! But hey I am a physics major. Of course the instant I found it I had to watch it! ROAD BLOCK!!!!!!!!!! My dad's now watching the news on the only T.V. we have equipped to still watch VHS's. So now I have to spend a long hour waiting......

Well now, in comes my dog who wants to play. Okay something to do!!! Yay!!! Right? Wrong! I get outside with my puppy and am just walking off the patio and onto the grass to play when he jumps up on me and rips my pants. They just happened to be my favorite pajama bottoms. So now I'm out of a pair of pants and I have to listen to the latest drive by shooting or hear about Kerry and his Purple Hearts.......I'm sorry but I DON'T CARE......it's not news to me anymore.....when you come up with something new then I'll listen. International politics is somewhat interesting, but the local news is the same exact shit......only the people change. And then there's those stupid news anchors especially the women who ooooh and aaaaah over some "cute" kids thing that some politician helped out with just to make himself look good. I might actually believe the anchorwomen if they didn't do it every single time!!!!!!!

Ok back to the math cartoon......that was a fun watch but sometimes they didn't give me enough time to hash out what they were trying to say. (Granted I was trying to apply the ideas to more complex ones that I had just learned last semester.) I think my favorite part is the billiards thing, although the trees with square roots is pretty kool as well.

I popped The Last Samurai into the DVD player later in the day (as a matter of fact I still haven't finished watching it.....grocery store trip then dinner......), and while watching it, it occured to me that I too am going to be in a foreign place soon. Although, Ive the luxury of actually understanding German.....I dunno if I could pull of what that guy did if I didn't speak the language.....honestly I'm a scardy cat if I don't know what's going on........

We lead up to the conclusion of my uneventful day......my puppy attempting to chew my limbs up while I type this blog.

I apologize now if I've wasted your time.......I probably wasted mine.....but I have tons of it for the next week anyway so whatever.